Friday, August 17, 2012

It's just chicken, folks.


The other day, I told a trusted co-worker that I’d started a blog and I had written one whole entry. Her eyes lit up and she said “You should blog about Chick-Fil-A.” My response was “Okay!!” Granted, the story is now a few weeks old which puts it in the not-hot category, but I refrained from commenting about the entire matter on other social media sites. Now that I decided to start blogging, I can say what I like, just like every other idiot in the free world.

I didn't go anywhere near Chick Fil-A on August 1, “Chick Fil-A Appreciation day” when Christian fanatics did their Chick-in. Nor did I go anywhere near the place on August 3 Gay Kiss-in day when the gay fanatics did their Kiss-in. But the next day, I got a 4-count chicken mini and a Cherry Coke. God, that bread on the chicken minis is so good!

Here’s what I think: Everyone needs to shut the fuck up and stop getting so worked up over chicken. I know some will argue that it’s about what the top dude of Chick-Fil-A stands for and where his money goes. As so many others have pointed out, he’s entitled to his opinion. Incessant bickering on social media sites will not change other people’s opinions. Only time and personal experiences can affect that kind of change. In the meantime, I’m still going to enjoy the occasional Chick-Fil-A breakfast.

I show my support for equal marriage rights by the political candidates I vote for and by giving my money to causes and organizations that support equal rights marriage. I’m also nice to gay people (unless they’re assholes, then I’m an Equal Opportunity Asshole right back) and I don’t tell them they’re going to hell. That may seem like a small thing, but believe me when I tell you, no one likes to be told they’re facing fiery eternal damnation for something they can’t change. It’s like some guy said a long time ago about…doing unto others as you would…or something like that. I don’t know, I read it somewhere years ago. On a side note: Despite what “Christians” think, a person’s sexual preference is not something that can be changed. And don’t give me that “some of my best friends are gay.” If that were true, you would know just from talking to your gay best friends that they have had these preferences from an early age just as you’ve had your preferences from an early age. That’s what time and my personal experiences have taught me. Suck it up and be nice to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment