Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Hot Cocoa


"Hot cocoa" is not a euphemism for my latest crush. It's been wonderfully chilly the last couple of days, just like it should be for the autumn season. I made hot cocoa today, the "fancy stuff" as my sister Veronica says (she uses that big family-sized can of Swiss Miss for her cocoa.) This recipe and most of the subsequent doctoring (addition of instant coffee granules and peppermint extract) was courtesy of www.hersheys.com. However, I never have milk in the house, so I substituted water. It was mint-y, chocolate-y goodness, just like I like!

20 ounces (peppermint mocha)

¼ cup sugar
2 tbsp Cocoa
1 tbsp instant coffee
2 ½ tbsp & ½ tsp hot water
1 c half n half, 1 c water, mixed together
½ tsp vanilla
¼ tsp mint extract


Directions
1. Stir together sugar, cocoa and coffee in medium saucepan; stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil and stir 2 minutes. Add milk; stirring constantly, heat to serving temperature. Do Not Boil.

2. Remove from heat; add vanilla and peppermint extract. Beat with whisk until foamy. Serve topped with marshmallows or whipped cream, if desired. Five 8-oz. servings.

*edit 10:04 PM*
Okay, so not only is it autumnal and crisp outside, but I have the whole week of work and you know what that means! I'll spend an entire week reading, writing, cooking and sleeping, though not necessarily in that order. I just took chocolate peanut butter cookies out of the oven. MAN, the house smells good. I nicked the recipe from this website:

http://fakeginger.com/2012/03/05/secret-recipe-club-chocolate-peanut-butter-cookies/

and here's a photo of said cookies from said website.


Delish! Goodnight, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment